Monday, July 03, 2006

WORLD CUP FEVER


World Cup Fever has truly hit Germany...and I am glad.

People all over Germany are redefining what it means to be German...and what the flag represents.

After arriving here oh so many years ago I was shocked to discover the shame that many young people had concerning their nation...most of which had taken place before they were born. The flag became synonomous with Nazis and no longer Germans....people were afraid to be proud...afraid to wave their flag or wear their colors....

A newer and wiser Germany...remembers the past...but embraces a future that they can be
proud of.

3 Comments:

Blogger bassislife said...

Being first-born American of German descent, even I've felt the shame of the past. My grandfather served in Germany in WWII, as did every other male of age, as an ammunitions carrier. My grandmother's family lost everything in the war. They emigrated to the states in the early-50's with my mother and aunt.

I've always had a mixture of pride and shame in my German heritage that I still carry to this day. Interestingly, my girls are helping me to overcome this; just the other day my oldest gave me a little German flag she crocheted. I'm keeping it in my car.

4:42 AM

 
Blogger mujeradelmundo said...

Beautiful...u know I have tears in my eyes...you really have such great kids....

8:29 AM

 
Blogger mujeradelmundo said...

Just additionally...it really is a pity about this whole shame thing...look at how horrible sooo many countries have been in the past..and present...

Germany has really carried this burden too long....they time heals all....and perhaps its also part of the new generation bringing new life into it as well..:)

8:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home